All poets/makers welcome.
Can we think of form as something other than constraint? What if one’s entire life experience were the constraint, as it is for the Afro-Cuban poet Kamau Brathwaite? And where is the body in this? This workshop, open to all, entertains a troubled,
The class work is comprised mainly of group critique of writing you bring in, discussion of texts/videos, and of writing exercises designed to improve technique and explore new approaches to creation.
Questions of composition, rhythm, gesture, engagement with broader social and political values, the body, and others will be considered.
- Stacy Doris, “I Have to Check My E-mail”
- Kimiko Hahn, “Still Writing the Body”
- CA Conrad, “The Right to Manifest Manifesto”
- Paul Celan, “The Meridian”
- “Lisa Robertson & Aisha Sasha John: In Conversation“, Book*hug Interview
- M. NourbeSe-Philip, “Ignoring Poetry (a work in progress)”
- Fred Moten, “An Interview with Fred Moten” Parts I and II, Lit Hub.
- Layli Long Soldier, “Poetry as Prayer ,” The Creative Independent
- Derek Jarman, Blue