PLEASE SEE THE NOTICE ABOUT SPECIAL MEASURES IN PLACE DUE TO COVID-19.
The QWF Prize for Playwriting
Sponsored by Gabriel Safdie in conjunction with Infinithéâtre
On November 3, 2020, QWF will award a prize of $3000 to honour excellence in dramatic literature by a Quebec playwright writing in English. The winning play will be given a reading in January 2021 during Infinithéâtre’s “Pipeline” series. This prize is awarded every two years.
Publishers or playwrights with eligible titles (see eligibility criteria below) must send 5 copies of the play. If it is published as an e-book, we require 4 printed copies and one electronic copy in PDF or EPUB format, submitted to Lori Schubert by the appropriate deadline date.
It is the responsibility of the publisher (or author) who is submitting the books, whether electronic or hard copies, to ensure that the submission has been received.
Each submission must be accompanied by a completed entry form, and a $25 non-refundable registration fee.
- To be eligible, a play must have an estimated performance length of at least 45 minutes and meet one of the following criteria:
- it must have been published during the eligibility period with an ISBN (copy scripts are included) or
- it must have been professionally produced during the eligibility period through a PACT company or through independent theatres that work under equity rules. In the latter case, the submitted script must be the final production script.
- Electronic and print-on-demand books are eligible provided that they became commercially available in their final form during the eligibility period, and that they meet all of the other criteria listed here.
- The playwright must be alive and have a residence in Quebec at the time of submission. A person who has been living outside of Quebec continuously for the past five years will be considered ineligible. In the case of joint authorship (by two playwrights), one of the writers must satisfy all of the above requirements. Province of publication or performance is not considered.
- The prize will be awarded to the author of the play. If two writers collaborated, the prize money will be divided equally between them, or, if one of them has died, between the living playwright and the deceased playwright’s estate. Plays with more than two writers are not eligible.
- The play must be an original work, written in English (translations are not eligible; retellings of traditional stories will be considered only if the text and interpretation are the original work of the present author).
- A play may be submitted to the QWF Awards only once.
- Rewritten, expanded or otherwise altered plays may be considered eligible only if the new version is deemed a new play by QWF.
QWF reserves the right to make the final decision regarding the eligibility of any book.
- Plays published or performed between August 1, 2018 and September 30, 2020 may be submitted, provided that they were not submitted for the 2018 awards.
- Plays published or performed between August 1, 2018 and May 15, 2020 must be submitted for the June 1, 2020 deadline, along with a completed submission form and a $25 non-refundable submission fee.
- Publishers or playwrights whose plays are to be published or performed between May 16, 2020 and September 30, 2020 must send in the completed submission form and submission fee by the June 1, 2020 deadline. Completed books, ARCs or bound galleys must be received in the QWF office by August 1, 2020. The final published book (including copy scripts) or the final production script must be received by September 30, 2020, or the submission will be disqualified.
- QWF reserves the right to determine the eligibility of all submissions.
- Plays published between August 1, 2020 and September 30, 2020 may instead be submitted for the 2022 awards.
Plays may be submitted by publishers or authors.
The books, accompanied by the entry form(s) and a non-refundable $25 registration fee for each submission, should be sent to:
QUEBEC WRITERS’ FEDERATION AWARDS
1200 Atwater Avenue, Room 3
Please make cheque payable to QWF.
Or click below to make a payment via PayPal:
For further information please contact us at (514) 933-0878 or by email.