Open to all.
Limited to 12 participants.
We plan to hold this workshop in person at the QWF office, with up to two virtual slots available for people who are unable to come to our office. If public health conditions necessitate it, this workshop may transition to a purely online model.
Thinking of jumping on the picture-book biography bandwagon? Better yet, you already have someone in mind to write about but you don’t know where to start? Come down the research rabbit hole with Anne Renaud, as she shares the steps she takes to lift the veil on the lives of people – from birth to grave and everything in between.
The two-and-a-half-hour workshop will look at the different approaches in picture-book biographies and provide answers to such questions as:
- What biographical information should I leave in and what can I leave out?
- How and where do I go to track down surviving family members? Newspaper clippings? Genealogical information? Photographs? Patents?
- The back matter is no laughing matter–what do I include?
- Do I need a research grant to write my book? If so, where do I go for grant money?
- How and to whom can I pitch my manuscript?
Handouts will be distributed. Participants are also encouraged to send Anne specific questions they would like answered prior to the workshop date (send your questions to firstname.lastname@example.org, with “Question for Anne Renaud” in the subject line).
Suggested reading before workshop:
- The Boy Who Invented the Popsicle: The Cool Science Behind Frank Epperson’s Famous Frozen Treat by Anne Renaud
- Mr. Crum’s Potato Predicament by Anne Renaud
- The True Tale of a Giantess: The Story of Anna Swan by Anne Renaud
- Bloom: A story of fashion designer Elsa Schiaparelli by Kyo Maclear
- On our way to Oyster Bay: Mother Jones and her march for children’s rights by Monica Kulling
- Joan Procter, dragon doctor: The woman who loved reptiles by Patricia Valdez
- Josephine by Patricia Hruby Powell
TIME: 10:00 to 12:30
DURATION: 22 October, 2022
LOCATION: QWF Office—1200 Atwater Avenue, Room 3, Westmount, QC