Joel & Me: An Appreciation of a Kind
A book reviewer for the Montreal Gazette and contributor to the Toronto Star, Canadian Geographic, National Post, The Walrus, and The Village Voice, he won two National Magazine Awards, The Malahat Review’s Creative Non-fiction prize for his personal essay Bad Day, and co-authored with Peter Curtis, the musical Love U: The Grad School Musical. This work is important and distinguished, but it is not his only legacy. Joel left a community of readers, editors, publishers, friends, writers, and aspiring writers who benefited from his work, friendship, guidance and fellowship. This event, organized by the Quebec Writers’ Federation, of which Joel was a member, offers an opportunity to pay tribute to him and his literary legacy.
7-8:30 p.m., Saturday, February 27, 2021 on Zoom
(Click below to RSVP)
Hosted by Scott Lawrence
Speakers: Joel’s friends, associates and students who shared his passion for writing and the literary arts, will offer reminiscences, stories, tributes, and short readings. Host Scott Lawrence is a writer who lives in Hudson, Quebec. His collection of short stories, Missing Fred Astaire, won the QSPELL award for fiction in 1993.
- Mark Abley – literary friend and poker rival
- Elaine Kalman Naves – friend and collaborator
- Bryan Demchinsky – friend, writer and editor
- Charles Foran – writer, biographer of Mordecai Richler
- Peter Curtis – musical/literary collaborator
- Gina Roitman – writer, will remember Joel as a teacher and mentor via Quebec Writers’ Federation programs, and introduce writers influenced by his mentorship and guidance
- Neil Smith – author and literary translator
- Claire Holden Rothman – writer
- Roma Bross – writer & journalist
- Sean Michaels – writer
- Julie Bruck – poet
- Mike Shenker – friend, writer, & editor
- Joe Fiorito – literary friend and poker rival
- David Homel – writer and basketball rival
- Cynthia Davis and Jonah Davis Yanofsky – on life with Joel, the writer, and on that life being a subject in Joel’s writing, particularly in reference to Bad Animals + thanks and wrap-up.
To register to attend the event, click here.
The event will be recorded and shared on this page in the days after the event.