QWF provides English-language programs, services, opportunities, and community for aspiring, emerging, and established writers and the wider community. Our goals are to…
- Provide professional development, support, community, and employment opportunities to Quebec-based English-language writers at appropriate stages of their careers;
- Raise the profile of QWF members who are emerging or established writers through annual literary awards, a writing residency, two online publications, and a travel fund;
- Increase access to literary activities for underserved communities through our Writers in the Community program;
- Increase public interaction with the literary arts through public readings, literary dinners and teas, and an annual holiday book fair (in partnership with the AELAQ);
- Facilitate contact between qualified writers and members of the community through our online Hire-a-Writer directory;
- Encourage dialogue and collaboration between Quebec’s English- and French-speaking literary communities;
- Create mutually supportive partnerships with literary presenters across the province and with other national, provincial and municipal arts organizations.
- Communicate with all levels of government on behalf of our constituency.
Our legal mandate
The Quebec Writers’ Federation (QWF) is a provincially incorporated non-profit organization and a Canadian registered charity (14031 9518 RR 0001). Our official purposes, as registered with the Charities Directorate, are:
- To provide tangible community support for the promotion and encouragement of English language literary arts within the province;
- To recognize the achievements of Quebec’s English language writers through the establishment of annual literary awards;
- To undertake activities which will increase public awareness of the literary arts and of literary institutions within the province;
- To apply for, raise and receive grants, bequests, legacies and devices and to hold, administer, invest, expand or deal with the same in furtherance with the purposes of the Society.