Between April 1, 2020 and March 31, 2021, the Quebec Writers’ Federation will offer ten full-day workshops for English-speaking youth and seniors throughout the province. Community organizations interested in participating can request one of six workshops to offer to members of their community, in the following categories:
- Creative Writing
- Spoken Word
The goal of the workshops is to give participants in isolated or underserved communities an opportunity to connect and to shape (or “scape”) their personal stories through wordplay and experimentation. The focus is on giving participants a chance to share their stories, document their lives, and read or perform their creative work.
We are inviting community organizations to apply for one of the six workshops described below, which can be offered to up to 12 members of their community. A short, simple application form is all we need to get the process started. QWF will cover the honorarium, travel, and per diems for the selected workshop leader. Community organizations are responsible for the following:
- Advising QWF on travel, accommodation, and dining options for the workshop leader
- Publicizing the workshop, with support from QWF, and keeping track of registration (up to 12 participants)
- Supplying a room that comfortably accommodates the workshop participants
- Supplying lunch for participants if there is no good alternative
- Supplying such equipment as might be required (e.g., a microphone and amplifier for the spoken word workshops).
Workshops are to be offered free of charge to participants. In cases where lunch is to be provided, the hosting organizations may collect a small charge from participants to cover costs.
A total of ten workshops will be delivered to ten different eligible community organizations. They will be booked on a first-come, first-served basis, with QWF making every effort to accommodate the scheduling preferences of the requesting organizations.
Step 1: Select a Workshop
Please click on each workshop title for descriptions and leader bios.
Creative Writing Workshops
- Cracking Open Your Stories, with Ami Sands Brodoff
- Making the Most of What You Have: How to Tell Your Story, with Joel Yanofsky
Spoken Word Workshops
- We’re All Storytellers: Learning the Craft of True-life Storytelling, with Nisha Coleman
- In Your Own Voice and In Your Own Words, with Patti Warnock
Step 2: Request a workshop by filling out the form below
Once you’ve submitted your request, QWF will contact you within a week.