The Quebec Writers’ Federation has about 700 members, a diverse group of individuals who are writing, reading, and passionate about literature in English from Quebec. The diversity of our membership is what makes the QWF community vital, and we’re always open to new additions. Whatever your experience as a writer, you will always find a warm welcome and valuable opportunities to share with your peers.
Who should join?
All QWF members receive our monthly e-newsletter with details of opportunities, submissions, contests, residencies, conferences, workshops and more, across Quebec, Canada, and the world. There are also particular development opportunities for writers at all levels:
- Aspiring writers: For those who are just starting to explore creative writing – from short fiction to memoir, poetry to genre to screenwriting to getting that novel underway, QWF has twice-yearly workshop series to suit everyone. The annual CBC/QWF Writer-in-Residence opportunity is open to all members, and you don’t need to have a publishing history. Shut Up & Write! sessions are free and open to all members looking to find some dedicated quiet writing time. If you’re chosen for the QWF Mentorship program, you’ll have a rare opportunity for free one-on-one professional support, and if you’re not, you can always hire a mentor: our Hire-A-Writer directory provides a curated list of writers who may be engaged for tailored, individual support. Our regular Member Meetups are open to
all,and provide the chance to chat informally with fellow writers.
- Emerging, mid-career, and established writers: QWF offers plenty of opportunities for published writers at all levels: the chance to be chosen as a CBC/QWF Writer-In-Residence or a Mentor, or to be featured in the Hire-A-Writer directory. You can further your professional development by taking a workshop, or you can apply to lead one! Attend an information session to learn how to pitch a magazine editor or write a better grant application. Polish your skills or experiment with a new genre in a master class. We’ll also keep you well informed of outside opportunities, like writing residencies, contest deadlines, and application periods for programs like Writers in CEGEPs.
- Students: Membership for full-time students is just $15 for a year. This gives a 50% discount on any QWF workshop, access to our free Shut Up & Write! sessions, and the chance to meet and engage with published, professional writers across all genres at our regular Member Meetups.
- Anyone who loves literature… join! Take a workshop, come to a Member Meetup, host a literary dinner or tea, and party with us at our annual literary awards Gala. Connect with and support English-language literature in Quebec!
What do I get with a QWF Membership?
In addition to the opportunities offered above, all QWF members receive…
- A monthly e-newsletter with details of workshops, submissions, contests, opportunities, residencies and more in Quebec, North America, and internationally.
- Invitations to a diverse range of Member Meetups – from a 5 à 7 at a neighbourhood bar to theatre visits to coffee before the Blue Met to Open Mics to the annual QWF family-friendly picnic.
- Advance notice and discounts on QWF workshops
- Discounts for various bookstores, theatres, journals, and partner organizations.
- Free entry to the Words & Music Show and a discount to the monthly Throw Poetry series.