Apply by August 8, 2022 (extended deadline)
About The Quebec Writers’ Federation (QWF)
QWF is a vibrant and inclusive community organization that develops, supports, and promotes those writing in English in Quebec. For more comprehensive information, visit www.qwf.org.
About the Position
Working under the supervision of QWF’s Executive Director, the Communications Officer will be responsible for the QWF websites (qwf.org and hireawriter.ca) and will plan and implement ongoing communications and outreach campaigns through digital communications and other channels. The Officer will be responsible for the following tasks:
Ongoing Communications, Design & Web-related:
- Plan and execute promotional campaigns for QWF programs and activities and assist in event planning
- Compile a monthly e-newsletter, send e-notices and maintain distribution lists (Mailchimp)
- Manage the organization’s website (qwf.org) and Hire-a-Writer site (WordPress)
- Update, monitor, and create content and run social media campaigns on the following platforms: Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, LinkedIn
- Manage media relations (writing and sending out press releases)
- Develop and maintain a communication plan in collaboration with QWF’s Executive Director
- Review and update QWF’s design collateral for website and related program branding (e.g., logos, business cards, signage, banner, etc.)
- Monitor and report on statistics using Monster Insights on WordPress, Google Analytics, Facebook Insights, Zoom statistics for virtual events and/or other tools every quarter
- Research and recommend improvements to communications channels and outreach events
- Design PowerPoint presentations, event flyers, posters on as-needed basis (Adobe Creative Suite, Canva or other design program)
- Manage QWF’s page on the Will Power website (WordPress)
Events & Special Projects (requires some weekend and evening hours)
- Assist in the planning, hosting, and execution of special events, including annual awards gala, mentorship reading, networking and fundraising events, and webinars (Zoom)
- Attend occasional board meetings to report communications-related results
- Attend occasional external events as QWF representative
This permanent, full-time position is 35 hours per week, with some evening and weekend events. For the duration of the pandemic, the Communications Officer will primarily work remotely; once normal activity resumes the amount of time in the QWF office will be negotiable.
This is not an entry-level position; the candidate should have at least two years of experience developing and executing a communications plan and be comfortable developing content for and doing back-end maintenance for a sophisticated WordPress website. Because we are a writers’ organization, this position requires the ability to write, edit, and proofread your own documents for accuracy and correct spelling, grammar, and punctuation. In addition, the position requires confidentiality and the ability to handle sensitive issues tactfully.
- Significant experience with WordPress, MailChimp, and Social Media Marketing (Meta)
- Excellent English, spoken and written
- Excellent computer skills
- Basic design skills in Canva
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Ability to work autonomously and on teams
Additional desirable skills
- Functional spoken and written French
- Familiarity with the English-language literary community of Quebec
- Familiarity with Mailchimp and Submittable
Deadline for applications: extended to August 8, 2022
Salary range: $38,000 to $40,000, based on qualifications
Start date: As soon as possible after August 8
How to Apply
Please email the following documents to email@example.com:
- Cover letter in Word or PDF format
- CV/Resume in Word or PDF format
Be sure to tell us about your knowledge of WordPress, Mailchimp, Canva, Meta, and the other software programs and platforms mentioned in this job description, as well as your level of French proficiency.
QWF is an equal opportunity employer and actively seeks to maximize diversity in its staff, part-time employees, membership and direction. We seek applications from all qualified individuals and encourage applicants from members of the Government of Canada’s employment equity groups (i.e., women, Aboriginal peoples, persons with disabilities, and visible minorities) to self‐identify if they are comfortable doing so. The QWF office is in the Atwater Library and Computer Centre, with an outdoor ramp, an elevator, and a wheelchair-accessible, gender-neutral bathroom on the same level as the office.
QWF appreciates all interest in the position; however, due to time constraints, only those selected for interviews will be contacted.