So you think you can blog? CBC Montreal and QWF are looking for this year’s fresh new voice to produce a series of 5 nonfiction blog posts of 400 to 600 words each on Montreal-related themes developed with CBC.
The five posts will be delivered on deadline every 3 to 4 weeks between January and April and published on the CBC Montreal website. Throughout the year, the writer may also make guest appearances on both CBC Radio and CBC Television.
The CBC/QWF Writer-in-Residence will receive $1,500.
Who should apply
This residency is open to any QWF member living in the Greater Montreal Area. A history of publication is not required.
CBC and QWF encourage writers to reapply even if they weren’t selected last year. Many applicants were in the running, but there was only one position available. You never know: a tweak to your application, a new idea for a blog subject, or a different juror may make the difference!
For an idea of the kinds of stories the CBC is looking for, you can view the blogs written by the 2019 Writer in Residence, Emira Tufo.
- Deadline for Applications: Tuesday, October 8, 2019 (midnight)
- Interviews: Week of October 21, 2019
- Official announcement: November 5 at the 2019 QWF Awards Gala
- Writing residency: January to April, 2020
How to apply
Writers living in the greater Montreal area are invited to apply. You must be a QWF member, be available during the interview period, and be in Montreal during most of the residency period. You also need to be available to appear at the QWF Gala in Montreal on the evening of Tuesday, November 5, 2019.
Your application must include the following components combined into a single WORD document:
- A one-page cover letter summarizing your writing interests, relevant experience, and the strengths you would bring to the Writer-in-Residency position.
- 3 writing samples, at least one of which is nonfiction (maximum ten pages total)
- 3 proposed topics for the CBC Montreal blog, focusing on the broad theme of “My Montreal.”
- Your detailed writing c.v.
All applications must be submitted via this Submittable link by midnight on October 8, 2019.