Sponsored by Champlain Regional College, Dawson, Heritage, John Abbott, Marianopolis, and Vanier Colleges
Winner Receives $1,000
Deadline: June 5, 2023
The 2023 Quebec Writers’ Federation (QWF) College Writers Award will be awarded to a Quebec resident who is enrolled in one of the sponsoring colleges.
The prize will be awarded for the best short story, poem, or work of nonfiction written in English between August 15, 2022 and June 5, 2023. The winner will be announced at the QWF Awards Gala in Montreal on Monday, November 13, 2023.
Rules and Regulations
- Maximum length for short stories and non-fiction is 4000 words. Maximum length for poems is 100 lines.
- The writer must have been enrolled in one of the following colleges during the 2022-2023 academic year: Champlain Regional College (Lennoxville, Saint-Lambert, St. Lawrence), Dawson, Heritage, John Abbott, Marianopolis, or Vanier College.
- Applicants must have had a primary residence in the province of Quebec for at least one year at the time of submission.
- The submission must have been written in English (translations are not eligible).
- A total of 24 semifinalists (3 from each campus) will be chosen by college staff and forwarded to the QWF jury.
- 3 finalists will be chosen by a jury assembled by the QWF. The names of all finalists will appear in the QWF’s online literary journal, carte blanche, and on the QWF website. The winner will be announced at the annual QWF Literary Awards Gala, held in November 2022.
- Grand prize: $1000 and, when rights allow, publication in carte blanche
- All 3 finalists receive a pair of tickets to the QWF Awards Gala on November 13, 2023 and a free one-year membership in the Quebec Writers’ Federation.
How to Submit
Check with your teacher or your English Department about how to send your story or poem directly to your college’s representative. Please save your document as a pdf file and include your name, email address, and phone number in the document. Inquiries should be directed to: firstname.lastname@example.org.