Call for Applications: The Words & Music Show – January 19, 2020
The Quebec Writers’ Federation is delighted to announce the call for applications for a guest curatorship of the Words & Music Show in January 2020. The curatorship, which is a component of QWF’s new “Fresh Pages” initiative, is designed to help an aspiring literary artist who is Black, Indigenous, or a person of colour develop skills in creating and curating literary and other arts events. The selected candidate will receive a modest honorarium and a free one-year membership in QWF.
The selected candidate will work with Ian Ferrier, long-time curator of the QWF Words & Music Show, to curate their own literary, musical, and performance event, from defining the event-to-be to selecting and inviting performers, gathering bios and other info, writing press releases and structuring and presenting a live show. The show typically presents poets, writers, performers, and musicians, and in the past has branched out to include, circus artists, magicians and comics from time to time. The guest curator can create a theme-based presentation, or a simple variety show.
- Applicants must live in Quebec and be Indigenous, Black, or a person of colour.
- Applicants should have already demonstrated an interest in presenting either their own work in public presentations or in creating a literary, musical or other arts event.
- There is no age or publication requirement.
- Candidates who have already curated more than three public events, or who work for an event creation agency or company, are not eligible.
How to Apply
Prepare the following documents:
- a cover letter describing the kind of show you envision presenting and why you are interested in curating events (maximum one page);
- a short biographical statement about your background and arts experience, including the reason you are eligible for this program (maximum 200 words).
- Remember to provide your full name and a way to contact you.
Email the documents to firstname.lastname@example.org or send them to the QWF office.
“Fresh Pages” Guest Curatorship
Quebec Writers’ Federation
1200 Atwater Ave., Suite 3
Westmount, QC H3Z 1X4
The guest curator will be selected by QWF’s Words & Music Committee.
- Deadline for applications: November 14, 2019
- Notification of results: Early December, 2019
- Date of public show: January 19, 2020
Curator of Words & Music: Ian Ferrier
Ian Ferrier created and has been curating the QWF’s Words & Music Show for twenty years, and the Mile End Poets’ Festival for ten. He is a writer, performer and musician, and curator, is author of multiple poetry collections and records including Quel est ce lieu, Bear Dreams, Coming and Going and Exploding Head Man. In 2009 he was awarded the Golden Beret, the League of Canadian Poets award for outstanding contributions to spoken word poetry. He has curated over 250 shows and performed in over 500.