Call for Applications Fall 2019
The Quebec Writers’ Federation is delighted to announce two scholarships to participate in QWF writing workshops during the fall session of 2020. This opportunity is a component of our new “Fresh Pages” initiative, which is designed to help aspiring writers and playwrights who are Indigenous, Black, or persons of colour develop their literary writing. A modest bursary is available to help with such costs as childcare or travel, and each scholarship recipient will receive a free one-year membership in QWF
- Applicants must live in Quebec and be Indigenous, Black, or a person of colour.
- They should have already demonstrated an interest in creative writing, and have at least three pieces of writing (poetry, fiction, nonfiction, play, screenwriting, etc.) finished or in progress.
- There is no age or publication requirement.
- Writers who have already taken a QWF workshop, or who are in a graduate writing program or already working with a professional editor or publisher are not eligible to apply.
How to Apply
- Start by viewing the fall workshop descriptions presented at qwf.org/workshops and choose the workshop you are most interested in taking, along with a second choice.
- Contact the office at firstname.lastname@example.org or 514-933-0878 to make sure the scholarships have not already been awarded.
- Prepare the following documents:
- a cover letter describing the writing you’ve done so far and how the scholarship would make a difference in your writing life (maximum one page);
- a sample of your writing. It can be poetry, an excerpt of a short story, novel or nonfiction, or a combination of these (maximum two pages);
- a short statement about your background and writing experience, including the reason you are eligible for this initiative (maximum 200 words);
- If you need support for such costs as childcare or transportation, please tell us what you are asking for financial support for, and the anticipated costs.
- Remember to provide your full name and a way to contact you.
Email the documents to email@example.com or send them to the QWF office.
“Fresh Pages” Workshop Scholarships
Quebec Writers’ Federation
1200 Atwater Ave., Room 3
Westmount, QC H3Z 1X4
- Application period: Up to one week before the start date of the workshop as long as the scholarships are still available. However, we encourage you to apply early, as only two scholarships are available, and qualified candidates will be accepted in the order we receive their applications.
- Notification of results: We will make every effort to notify you within a week of your application arriving.