The Quebec Writers’ Federation is delighted to announce eight scholarships to participate in QWF writing workshops throughout 2021. This opportunity is a component of our “Fresh Pages” initiative, which is designed to help aspiring writers and playwrights who are Indigenous, Black, or persons of colour develop their literary writing. A modest bursary is available to help with such costs as childcare or travel, and each scholarship recipient will receive a free one-year membership in QWF.
- Applicants must live in Quebec and be Indigenous, Black, or a person of colour.
- There is no age or publication requirement.
- Writers who have already taken a QWF workshop, or who are in a graduate writing program or already working with a professional editor or publisher are not eligible to apply.
How to Apply
- Start by viewing the workshop descriptions presented at qwf.org/workshops and choose the workshop you are most interested in taking, along with a second choice in case your first choice is full. If a workshop is full you will see a note at the bottom of the description inviting you to join the waitlist.
- Contact the QWF via email to request a scholarship. Please include the names of your first and second choices and a brief statement (maximum 1 paragraph) affirming that you meet the eligibility criteria. Let us know if you need bursary funds to make it possible for you to attend (for childcare, for example). Be sure to include your full name and the best ways to contact you.
Scholarships and bursary funds will be awarded on a first-come, first-served basis to those who meet the eligibility criteria.
- Application period: Up to one week before the start date of the workshop as long as the scholarships are still available. However, we encourage you to apply early, as only four scholarships are available each term, and qualified candidates will be accepted in the order in which we receive their applications.
- Notification of results: We will make every effort to notify you within two business days of your application arriving.
- We also offer four need-based scholarships each workshop term.