All are welcome.
This workshop looks at ways to get your writing into print or online in today’s complex and competitive publishing environment. We look at how to approach conventional publishers of books and periodicals as well as how to self-publish or work with a publisher who assists writers for pay. The workshop will be mostly for emerging writers, but also for those who are looking for new ways to get their words out.
Some of the topics under discussion:
- Books, magazines, periodicals, websites: each requires a different approach.
Conventional Publishing (Books)
- How to look for a publisher
- National publishers vs. small presses
- Is a literary agent a good idea?
- How to pitch a book
- Pros and cons of self-publishing
- What’s the difference between self-publishing and assisted publishing?
- Advantages and disadvantages of each option
- Who are the online publishers?
- Is a blog a good idea? A website? A podcast?
- Subscription publishing vs. blogging
- How to build an online profile as a writer