Open to all
Limited to 12 participants
Whether yours is a love story or an adventure, a true-life story or one that’s totally imagined, you will be free to improvise and adapt as you are guided through the creative process of bringing a story to life and telling it In Your Own Voice and Your Own Words.
This six-week online workshop is an invitation to explore not only the process of creative writing, but also a brief introduction to the essential elements of oral and nonverbal communication necessary to assimilate (as opposed to memorizing) an original story for a traditional style oral transmission, i.e., a telling vs. a reading.
Tell us a story of your hopes, dreams, and fears.
Unleashing the imagination
- Using images and working within allotted time limits, your will be guided through the basic steps and elements of creative story writing (these elements being the key to any storytelling project, written or oral).
- The writing sessions will include exercises in creative thought, improvisation, situation, and character motivation as well as the ongoing transition and adaptation of your story.
- Throughout the workshop, you will continue to experiment and improvise, and the ongoing transition and adaptation of your written text (Your Words) will gradually evolve into a story made to tell (Your Voice).
- Storytelling exercises will cover creating the storyboard, incorporating senses and emotions, and using both voice and gesture to bring the story to life.
- Freedom of creative voice and individual style are encouraged!
Through the sharing of stories, we may see past our differences; stimulate interaction between generations, languages, and cultures; strengthen our confidence, identity, and sense of community.
With laughter and tears, participants will share their thoughts and ideas, memories and emotions, in a positive, enjoyable, and non-judgmental environment designed to encourage growth and well-being. . . simply for the pleasure of it!